Fw: Strongid responses

Hi Heidi and everyone else.  Just got back from the fall xp and am catching
up on email.

I have one of the horses who did not do well on Strongid C--I have posted my
1994 experience with anemia many times on ridecamp over the  years.  The
anemia cleared up as soon as I took him off Strongid C.  This same horse
also had a serious anterior enteritis in 1993.  It was not until this year
that I learned (via ridecamp) that the colic also may have been related to
Strongid.  He had been on strongid for a few years prior to the colic, and I
had pulled him off of it 10 days or so before an FEI ride to be sure we were
in compliance with the drug rules.  So I don't know if it was the strongid
or the cold turkey from it (or something else).  Anyway the horse has been
doing fine on 6-8 week paste wormers for the last 4 years (6225 miles,17
years old and did another 50 miler on Monday!)

As to the legality of Strongid in AERC rides,  Ray Randall told me that it
technically was illegal, but was compatible with the intent of the rules.
Actually, asking Ray about this very issue was what helped to diagnose my
horse's anemia. (Thanks, Ray).

As to the  "bloom" and weight gain (which my horse also experienced on
Strongid C)--My vet believes that this response is not due to the wormer but
some other additives that they put in the product.  Anyone know anything
about this???

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net