Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Susan,

The Tevis, while a hard ride, is a slow ride.  And while 100 degrees is
hot when a 10% humidity is added it does not compair to 90 degrees and a
50% humidity as far as impact on thermoregulation.

While it is good that someone is taking data, I would be a little
skeptical on drawing conclusions on a set of data - althougth
statistically significant - is only statistically significant for a
particular type of ride - mountain ride - in a semiarid climate.

There are many things that can go wrong with horses expending too much
energy in humid conditions, rapid dehydration, electrolyte loss, heat
build up, etc.

I have ridden out West some and can tell you that men do much better in
the west than in the east as a rule.  Also men tend to better on rides
that are slower because of the terrain.

You might want to see if you could team up with someone in the East that
would be interested in working with you.  The Univ of GA vet school
would be a start.  The OD, the Biltmore and the Carolina rides are all
big. The OD will surly give you a good mark on heat and humidity.
Although the OD tends to be a slower ride.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm