Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Truman, all the data was collected at Tevis in '95, '96 and more
recently, '98.  Reasons being that it's one of the few races where ride
management weighs riders with tack before the race, has a large turnout
and other logistical reasons.  One year was hot and dry, one year was
hot and humid, the third year was relatively cool and dry.  When we
analyzed the three populations against each other, there was still no
difference in ride results---that is, the distribution based on weight
was still the same.

OTOH, what we call "humidity" out here is a lot different from the
humidity you folks get (except for this week, when it's swampy by
anyone's standards).  So heat dissipation may very well be a factor at
some point, though it wasn't at this level of humidity when we looked at
it.  Certainly a larger, heavier mass will be producing more heat and
have a smaller surface area from which to dissipate it.

I'd be delighted to come collect data in the SE, if someone can find me
a big enough ride to get a statitically viable population, and ride
management that will weigh the riders and their tack beforehand.

Susan G