Re: Lungin round pens

I've used various sizes. I like something between 50 to 60 feet.
Smaller and you get too close, larger and it's hard to stay on top of
things without running about a lot. Having said that I've been forced
to work in 30 foot round pens, full sized arenas, 24x24 stalls, even
rectagular and triagular pens on hill sides. As Lyons says, there is
no knowledge in the pipe.

For crazy, young and unfit horses I prefer firm or hard footing to
avoid tendon injuries. When starting a colt I've always use SMB's.
Never used them, but think that bell boots may be a good idea in case
they hit the uprights. Often, just getting one of these guys to let
you touch their feet is tricky though.

For a fit horse who is used to deep footing, deep sandy footing is
good, so they tire quicker and start to think sooner.

---SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> Hey gang,
> for those of you who make use of round pens, what do you think the
minimum
> diameter should be? How about the footing? I would like plenty of
input
> especially from the vets. Our city is adding a bull ring across the
street at
> the public facility and thye know less tha nothing about what they
are doing.
> Okay, fire away!
> sandy

==