Re: Lungin round pens

Sandy, we just got a round pen and because it was the largest we could
fit into the space available, ours is 50' in diameter, which is also the
minimum that John Lyons recommends.  He says he prefers 60' minimum and
I agree---the fifty foot circle is still just a little tight, and if
you're doing JL type work where you want the horse turning inwards
towards you, it's just a bit too small.  As soon as we can reorganize
around here a bit more, we're going to expand ours to 60'.

BTW, John Lyons also says 70' is too big for his type of round pen
work---the horse is too far away for you to be able to easily turn him,
etc.  This would only apply I guess to the Lyons method of round pen
work, but it makes sense to me.  So my vote is for 60' diameter.

As for footing---anything that drains well and doesn't get dug up like
the dirt in ours.  We have sand at Cal Poly and it works fine.

Susan G