Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

To be percise it is not a question of "energy" it is a question of work.  For
a mass moved up against the amount of work is Fd, where F is the force of
gravity =mg m is the mass and g is the acelleration of gravity.  The path a
horse travels is not parallel to the ground - but more a series of arcs as you
stat,e Bob.  On each arc  the horse is required to perform work.  Since the
work is proportiional to the mass, the more mass the more required work on the
same arc.  The total amount of work required is the sum of the work of each
arc.

There are two interesting things that fall out.  First a horse carrying more
weight is requied to do more work.  The second thing is the higher the apex of
the arc is off the ground, the more work required to tranverse the arc.  This
tells you that a horse with a long low gait does less work to go a given
distance than a horse with a more "antimated"anima - high hang time gait.  So
the daisy clipper will need to do less work to cover the same distance.

I would be pretty simple to calcualte the difference the enegy required for
riders of different mass.  Probably as big a factor is the proportion of the
rider's mass to the horses mass.  A 400 kg horse carrying a 150 kg rider will
have to expend proportionally more work than a 500 kg horse carring a 100 kg
rider.

That is the physics - but I will allow others to bebate the merits of
heavyweight vs feather weight.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt