Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Joe & Ride camp:

You state:>>> Sorry, Bob, but your physics is off.  Energy is only expended
moving a
> mass against resistance (such as gravity).  It takes more energy to
> *lift* a given weight a given height, but not to move it horizontally.
> All else being equal it takes no more energy to move 200 pounds one
> *level* mile than to move 100 pounds one level mile.>>>

This is absolutely correct but the horse in creating impulsion must lift
the weight, total weight animal and rider, into the air and then push it
forward so the factor of gravity, the overcoming of the movement from
static to dynamic state and the like are repeated over and over. Then you
have also introduced the factor of elevation change no matter how slight.
So there is a very distinct "lifting a given weight a given height". That
weight is the factor that brings forth the necessity for setting some
standard such as the minimum 165 lb criteria.

<<<Simple concept -- difficult to adjust for equitably in the real
world.>>>

Who ever said life was fair or equitable. The weight criteria is an attempt
to level things out but will never come close to helping the way training,
conditioning and desire to excel will. I have always ridden as a heavy
weight but never felt it was a handicap. Gave up on the idea of winning
when I found the "view" from further back was much better. That is why I
now always let those sweet young things get ahead of me (including my
wife).

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID