Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

OK let's get this discussion down to basics which is the expenditure of
energy!

BTU's expended are a factor of the weight moved and the distance it is
moved! (basic physics)

Therefore, a light weight horse with a light weight rider expends fewer
BTU's than a heavy weight horse with a heavy weight rider. Now we know
mechanics are introduced in that the very light weight horse cannot carry
the very heavy weight rider. This is a mechanical limitation and while
influencing the choice of horses, does not influence the basic formula of
energy use.

The criteria for minimum weight is to influence that part of the formula
regarding the use of energy. Trying to make the conditions as even as
possible for every one on that course on that day. The uneven factor is the
horse, and that is left to the discretion of the competitor. There is no
limiting factor on the size, breed, sex or color regarding the horse.

Could any thing be simpler???

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID