Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

FEI (the international governing body for international equine events)
requires that RIDERS meet the minimum weight (to be CARRIED) by his/her horse
to be 165.  This is to make the competition faiere to all.  It does NOT,
however, compensate for the rider who weighs in at 200 or more.  That rider IS
and ALWAYS will be at a disadvantage.

Discussion has been that perhaps FEI should consider 3 weight classes (light,
middle and heavy).  Unfortunately, tradition has not in the past allowed for
more than ONE champion at a time.  So, for a good number of years to come,
when you ride an FEI ride, expect to weigh in at least 165 lbs.

Teddy Lancaster