Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

In a message dated 98-09-02 18:37:39 EDT, kraussberner@worldnet.att.net
writes:

<< Is the weight requirement = to rider's weight + horse's weight?(I can just
 see 'em lugging up a scale big enough to weigh a horse....)  Or is there a
 minimum weight every horse has to carry?  If so, what is it?  and, why is
 it? Thanks--email privately if this question's been asked and answered
 before.  >>

If you are confused, Mary, likely someone else is, too, so I'll answer this on
ridecamp.  The weight requirement is only for FEI (international) events, not
for AERC rides.  It is just for the rider, and is a 165 pound minimum weight
of rider and saddle.  It is an attempt to level the playing field somewhat so
that a person does not have to be a 98-pound jockey in order to compete at
high level events such as continental and world championships.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)