Energy for Rider

Hi All,
     Okay--here goes. My husband and I are doing our first AERC sanctioned ld
ride this Sunday. Hubby is a bit nervous.....he's 60 years old and in great
shape. We ride a lot, just the 2 of us together. When we ride long distance
together we stop along the trail and rest and eat when we want to. He wants to
cut down on the resting/eating part and he's  wondering what you guys eat on
the trail to keep your own energy level up??? I make do with grainola bars,
but he wants more. What's your advice?
Thanks,
Beverly and Flower
Heinz and Ebony