[Fwd: Re Breed awards]

I raise Saddlebreds and Saddlebred /Arab crosses. I have been competeing
in Endurance racing for 8 years with these horses . I have never
competed on a pure Arab, yet I have won may races and many best conition
awards. I do think that my Saddlebreds can  compete on an equal basis
with Arabs. I do not want  to  be able to come in last in a race and
still win First for the Saddlebred division. I want the award to mean
something. I do not want to beat all the Arab competition and feel that
they are in a different catagory or race.Coming in last or first is
still finishing and finishing is to win.

Arabs do well in this sport and therefor are the most popular breed ,
because they are the most popular breed the odds are that in any given
race an Arab would win, but if odds were even ( such that the same
number of horses from each breed were in a given race) my money money
would still bet on the Arabian Breed.

Bottom line I disagree with having different breed awards at the
endurance rides.

---- Begin included message ----
Hi to all.
Here in South Africa at our National Endurance Championships at Fauriesmith
we have breed awards,good thing it is too as Arabs outnumber Appaloosas and
Saddlers and other breeds by far.It is always delightfull to compete for
this award against horses of the same breed,makes this ride all the more
worthwhile for us the minory competing on endurance horses other than
Arabs.Not that I dislike Arabs,have four wonderfull Arab mares here as
well,I also crossbreed the Arab and the Appaloosa horse,the best of both
breeds,as a result!
There is nothing better than watching Arab horses move,definately poetry in
motion,as they float along,can spend hours watching Talari and Scharabi in
action.
Ok enough from me for now,Breed awards are always a great idea.
Regards
kathy
http://196.7.177.40/aht/

---- End included message ----