keeping weight on

Might he need to be tube wormed just once?

Save your money on the rice bran and just toss in some generic corn oil
(work up to 1/2 c per day).  Also, I like to feed some oat pellets in with
the beet pulp.  I'd maybe give some serious thought to getting off the
straight alfalfa and at least go to a legume or grass hay once a day.  Some
horses just can't eat enough hay to keep their weight on but, for some
reason, adding pellets helps.  I'd be sure there was always hay in front of
him to pick on.  So... I feed beet pulp, pellets, oil and Source mixed up
all wet and sloppy, plus enough oat/grass/beardless wheat or barley hay to
keep them busy all day.

I've been through this and this formula really fixed my mare who had been
skinny through 3 owners.  (My other four horses do great on this also.)
Finally got her nice and smooth and still did lots and lots of miles on her.

GOod luck.

ann