shoulder assemetry

Hi Linda,

I read your post with interest because I also have a horse with one
shoulder much more developed than the other. I have noticed how much he
prefers one lead  to the other. He also has a club foot which my new
farrier has recently suggested is the horse compensating for one leg
shorter by growing more heel.  So we have started leaving that whole hoof
longer than the other and it seems to be working in that he doesn't seem to
grow excessive heel and consequently contract. I make a conscious effort to
ride on the lead he doesn't like but which diagonal would help develop the
weaker shoulder. I think it would be to rise when the more developed
shoulder is coming forward or rising. Is this correct? It is his left
shoulder which is more developed and his right leg which is shorter with
the club foot. He prefers the left lead at a canter but he will take the
right if forced. He doesn't seem to have a preference of diagonals.

If you have been able to develop a horse with the kinds of injuries you
described I should be able to even out this guy.

Myna