Re: Leasing for Cosequin Challenge Ride?

Angie,

I think you are exactly right.  We know them better than anyone else and the
initial signs are usually subtile - no more than a gut feel.

At last years FOF, I got brow beat by my crew to go on at the 50 mile check
when I was not sure he could finish.  I didn't like something.  I point
blank told the vet that this was the first 100 that I have done on the horse
and that "yes I know it is my decision since you think he is okay but here
are my concerns and if he were your horse what would you do".  We decided to
go to the next check and see how he was doing. I rode the next 16 miles at a
nice easy pace.  We pulled into the next check and he was fine, but then
developed a cramp while resting.  We pulled there.

Was it the cold weather or was it a subitle sign that if I had ignored and
ridden him hard he would have had real problems?  I don't know but I feel
that I did the correct thing. We worked the cramp out fairly eaisly and the
horse was fine by the time the trailer showed up to take us to camp.

If I had not spent so much thime riding that horse would I have been
concerned - probably not.  Could that have lead to trouble - probably would
have.  When it comes to a situtation like this I will not be on either side
of a leasing arrangement.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt