Re: Paso Finos

In a message dated 98-08-26 07:16:00 EDT, guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Has anyone competed in limited distance on a Paso Fino?  I've got the
opportunity to get a six year old mare, green-broke and soft, but old enough
to go ahead and put into work.  Trouble is the lady wants my three year old
foundation bred QH mare for her and I'm not completely sure that it would be a
great swap.  Has anyone used the foundation bred type QH for distance?  The QH
is tough, but not a very forward type horse.  I'd rather use something more
willing. >>

I see both Pasos and QH's competing in endurance.  I have only seen one Paso
compete well beyond limited distance, but have seen half a dozen or so doing
LD's, some fairly well, some not so well.  I have seen a lot more QH's at
rides (but then there are a lot more of them around)--the truly foundation
types do ok if gotten into shape, but as you state, they are not particularly
"forward" horses.

However, as Angie points out, you could probably sell your younger horses and
get a started Arab ready to go, unless there is some specific reason that you
are hanging onto them?  Even if you have other reasons to keep them, there are
plenty of Arabs and part Arabs around that would make great entry level
endurance horses and will likely take you further in the sport than either
your QH or the Paso.  Just all depends on what your goals are.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)