horse colds/human colds

About Robitussin and other cold remedies:
"The Holistic Pediatrician" by Kathi J. Kemper, M.D., M.P.H,  has studies
of ALL types of remedies and you might be interested by this:

"Neither of the two most commonly prescribed cough suppressants, codiene
(prescription only) and dextromethorphan (the DM ingredient in many
non-prescription cough medicines...) are any more effective than placebo
cherry syrup in supressing children's coughs."

In addition here are some side effects of common cold medications (from the
same book):

Antihistimines:  drowsiness,irritability, dry mouth, fuzzy thinking,
thirst.

Decongestants:  increased heate rate, increased blood pressure, decreased
appetite, diziness, abnormal heart rythms, hallucinations, psychosis.
(Have some of these wacked endurance horses been sneaking the
decongestants?)

Cough suppressants:  sleepiness, possible addiction

Aspirin/ acetaminophen:  supressed imune function (more colds...)

After reading that, I don't give them to my kids and certainly wouldn't
risk them on my horses either!!!

How about garlic?  It might keep the biting flies away too.  I don't know
if you could get a horse to eat 10 or 20 cloves of fresh garlic though...
And oh that sweet breath!

Bambi