Re: alfalfa

In a message dated 98-08-27 00:10:39 EDT, REBELCJB@aol.com writes:

<<  I
 have been feeding him alfalfa hay at the rides but would like to know if
 alfalfa pellets are just as good.  Do you recommend adding some water to the
 pellets if they are used? Seems like the pellets would be easier to handle &
 more cost effective.  >>

I personally prefer the hay.  Some horses are prone to choking on the pellets,
and this problem is more common when horses are fatigued.  If you do have to
use the pellets, I would soak them to the point of being mush, and serve them
up rather like bran mash, or perhaps even in bran mash.  I think the problem
of getting them into a form that makes them less hazardous for choke more than
offsets the advantages of cost and ease of transporting, especially if you
don't have a crew to prepare them for you.  I would hate to soak them too long
in advance for fear that they would spoil in hot weather.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)