Re: Slippery Training Rides

Linda
The nails are from MUSTAD  called DURA-TRAC. We use then with great
results. We put 2 in each shoe.. we use St Croix eventers also on the
rear.
HAve been doing well with MUSTAD NAIL-SHU on the front --but they dont
last long they wear out in about 5 weeks.. sometimes I get 2 settings..
if we dont have a full schedule.
I have to use these shoes due to the hard trails and since NATRC will
not allow the use of full pads or 'sneakers'..
We do use sneakers  most of the time for the endurance horses when we
dont have alot of mud.

If the horse pulls the front shoe.. we cut of 1/4 inch of the heel..
works well but we dont loose them  anyway.  we have a GREAT shoer that
knows how to balance  the foot and time the breakover.. so we dont pull
shoes under normal conditions.
I bet we have not lost more then 2 sneakers in 3 years..

My shoer has NO problems with the dura-trac nails.. i was going to buy
him a hammer and keep it here..but his hammer looks great.. and we use 8
nails per horse.. and do 3 to 4 horses per trip..we also use them on the
MUSTAD NAIL-SHU  it cuts the heel wear there too.

WE --of course do sell the nails and the shoes..
but your shoer can get them from any shoer supply

We carry size E5 and CH5  $25 box 100
MUSTAND NAIL-SHU $35 pr

I would try these  your shoer can get them.. must really 'set' the nail
into the alumminum plate. We did the OD50 in a set 2 yrs ago.. had lots
of shoe left.. depends on how the horse travels.
Roger