Slippery Training Rides

The county just tarred & chipped (ie cheaply paved) a good number of the
back roads that I train on.  It is <exceptioanlly> slippery to ride
downhill on these roads now, even at a walk.  Great for the cars, lousy
for the horses!

I have heard that there are horseshoe nails that have borium nail
heads.  Anyone know the name/manufacturer?  My farrier thinks that they
will chew up his hammer.  What do your farrier do for setting these
nails?  Does he have a sacrificial hammer?  Harder hammer?  .....

I don't like borium on my shoes, but I thought two to four nails with
borium heads might be just the ticket.  I'm currently using St. Croix
Eventers with clips.  The Sneaker/Equithotics are yanked off by my horse
everytime he's out in the field playing (22 hrs/day) :-(  We gave up on
Slypners - the inserts kept popping out.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks for any replies.

Linda Flemmer