Re: Work/Ride Criteria & LD Ride 31 Oct 98 "Response"

     Dear Heidi, Linda P, Roger R, Angie M, and other Ridecampers,

     Thank you "very much" for your words of encouragement - after all, to
     finish is to win, right? . I have been keeping abreast of all the
     AERC rides for the Central Region/Texas and Oklahoma rides, for the
     last 2 "plus" years. My plans were/are to try Poetry's Fantasy Flight
     on the 26th of September and the Armadillo, on the 31st of October.

     I am a "convert" - so to speak - did some barrel racing and head &
     heeling in my younger days. Decided I wanted to do trail riding,
     camping, etc.- in my old age/46 - with my Quarter/Thoroughbred mare.
     Ended up buddying with a ladyfriend that rides an Arabian that used
     to do competitive/NATRC.

     Started conditioning my mare, "with" my barrel racing saddle, before
     realizing the error of my ways. Darn horn kept poking me in the groin
     - so off it came. Next, we/I realized my mare had too much muscle mass
     - so I found her a good home. "Then" I was adopted by a little Arabian
     gelding, named First Classic - dubbed him "Classy." Right away, saddle
     fit problems commenced. Guess what happened next - the "great saddle
     hunt!" Ended up mothballing my modified barrel racer and bought an
     "english" all purpose saddle. Made a "big" difference in Classy's back
     and behavior - but switching from western to english sure set "me"
     back a peg or two. Now we're off looking into taking dressage lessons!

     Not to mention that I have traded my;

     Justin cowboy boots for Justin sport lacers
     Cowboy hat for a Troxel helmet
     Wrangler jeans for Spalding exercise pants

     And the list goes on and on. And I ask myself "Are we having fun yet? Is it
     worth it? Would I do it all over again?" And I answer......."You bet!"

     Looking forward to seeing/meeting some or all of you "someday." Happy
     trails to you and yours!

     Ruth Abair and Classy in NE Texas