Re: electrolytes

In the VC.. I use E of choice and mix with baby food carrots.. they love
this.. better then applesauce.
For the new gang they eat anything .. so in the beetpulp/grain mix goes
2 full oz of the stuff.

The others must be syringed.. I mix it up in the am before the start.
I make it thick  add no water. I fill these small doser bottles.. from
ABC.. or any other sources  the kind used for assorted liquids.
These bottles hold 2 doses. I carry one in my fishermans vest along with
the std 60 cc syringe.. Easy to fill on the trail and give. Since it is
thick they take it and I flush with water.

At the VC either mix the stuff fresh or use what I am carring with
me..then make new and fill up the doser bottle. or get from the larger
bottle of pre-mix.

Since I also give carbo-supp.. i mix them together in the syringe. The
carbs are sweet  they like it and dont spit it out.
I have made up a large mix of electrolyte and carbo im a large bottle..
i know the 'dose' amount by the vol of 60 cc syrnges.
I try to get a full dose in one syringe or 50 cc.. if not then 2.

I feed for my faster horse- 1 oz of electrolye and 2 oz carbo  mixed
with one jar #1 of the baby food carrots. I give this every 10 miles
approx.
If the VC are all at base- looped ride-- this is easy. But on the away
VC I carry all I will need in the smaller doser bottles. Just in case
the supplies are not on site.

For the horses NOT on carbo.. I give about 2 oz electrolytes at each VC.

I prefer NOT to mix anything up at the VC. Too messy. Pre-mix all I can
in the am.
I will provide the carbo in the feed mix in powder form at the VC.

As a last resort I use LYTE-NOW paste works grest and is easy to give
-fast acting and if all fails with the pre-mix. I give 1/2 a tbue
(single dose) at the 25 miles and after the last VC..IT all depends on
how the horse is going.
The paste stuff is less messy  but quite costly.
Roger R