unsubscribe

I have been trying for almost a week to get my name removed from the list.
The amount of trouble is starting to upset me.  I don't want to receive the
digest any longer.  I was just going to take a break, but now I have no
desire to see any more of this!

Agnes Jenkins

----------
> From: ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
> Subject: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #649
> Date: Tuesday, August 18, 1998 6:37 AM
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ridecamp-d Digest				Volume 98 : Issue 649
>
> Today's Topics:
>   High Country ride (story- long)       [ vanhove@unavco.ucar.edu (Teresa
Van ]
<packardd@ci.boulder.c ]
<Teddy@runningbear. ]
<bobmorris@rmci.net ]
>   Re: The case of fear (personal & lon  [ jmutchler@juno.com (Jan A
Mutchler) ]
<slsf@foothill.net> ]
<bcornely@3rivers.ne ]
<bcornely@3rivers.ne ]
<akusmich@hotmail.co ]
<horseman@hotkey.net.au ]

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:22:40 +0700
> From: vanhove@unavco.ucar.edu (Teresa Van Hove)
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: High Country ride (story- long)
>
> Grey Moun and I went up to the High Country ride this year.  It is a
beautiful
> area with a very scenic drive up there (too bad I can't really enjoy
scenic
> drives when I'm towing the trailer!)  Sometimes I actually enjoy the
> process of packing for a ride but this was one of those times when I just
> threw everything in on Friday morning - forgetting a few things of
course. :(
> Actually I think I only missed my chairs and an extra bucket and those
were
> not big problems.  But I found out Friday night that the ride was a 50
mile
> loop with an away vet check (I am not used to those.)  So packed up a
crew bag
> and some mash for Grey and sent up in one of the ride vehicles - I was
running
> my stuff up to the vehicle right after the ride started.  I caught up to
> Randy Winter, he was riding slow because it was his horses 1st 50 this
year,
> she's had some problems.  I wanted to take it easy with Grey since he was
off
> at the end of his last ride so we decided to ride together.  Randy's wife
Cheryl
> and Nancy Loving were riding together, setting a more medium pace.
>
> Randy is good riding company, it is always nice when the person you ride
with
> has the same style of taking a little extra time if the horse doesn't
drink
> right away and encouraging the horses to grab a little grass.  It was
kind of
> hard riding his pace though because he was doing a slower trot and I
usually
> take it easy with Grey by letting him do his normal trot but just walking
more.
> Well the slower trot was probably good for keeping Grey sound - did I
mention
> this is the High Country ride.  Its a beautiful area but these are the
Rocky
> mountains!
>
> Since I was running late at the start and the vet check was at a lodge I
> decided not to take a few extra minutes to pack myself extra "kool lytes"

> or food.  I'll just run in and buy something,  Rich Childs had encouraged

> us to give the lodge some business anyway.  Ha!  I should have known that
> even a full hour hold would rush by too fast.  I never even made it
inside
> the lodge.  I had powdered electolytes but no syringe for Grey - luckily
> was able to borrow a syringe from someone.  Everyone at the ride was Sooo
> nice.  Rich is a great ride manager, he had volunteers pointing us in the
> right direction at almost every turn.  Unfortunately the ribbons were a
> bit scarce on the few turns w/o a person - Heard later that there was
some
> trail sabatoge and some (hate to even think of it) suspicion that it was
one
> of the riders.  Apparently people right in front saw ribbons in some
places
> where there were definitely no ribbons later.  Not a big problem for
Randy
> and I going slow and able to follow the majority hoof prints but still
what
> lousy sportsmanship!  Rich had put up signs for Sunday's ride and when he
> checked them in the morning he had to replace them - they had been torn
> off the posts - one might have been the cows- but all of them - had to be

> sabatoge.
>
> Randy and I took it easy on the last half of the ride.  We were not
climbing
> up as much so we actually set a little faster pace then on the 1st half
but
> we let the horses stop and graze a couple times.  I got so light headed
and
> tired (I will never again skip packing food and "lytes" for me as well as
> the horse.)  At least I had water and I did discover 1/2 a tube of cliff
> shots left over from my last trail ride.  We got back to camp at a
quarter
> to 5.  They must have flipped a coin- Randy got the tail ender award.
Grey