take a ride, catch a fish

I recently started packing a lot of my gear in a high-quality multi-pocket
fishing & outdoors vest.  You can get one of these from a sporting goods store
and mine holds first aid kit, survival kit, salt packets, lead ropes, repair
gear, extra clothing, insect repellent, sunscreen, etc., etc.  but make sure
you get a really good one because a cheap one will be unbalanced, floppy, and
you'll end up with a sore back.  I had to find something better than a
backpack or saddle pack to hold stuff becasue my horse hates all the rattling
and  bumping.  The vest works great and it's been comfortable for 10-50 mile
rides.  It was well worth the $50 I paid for it.