First 100 miler--The Tevis

I have been a faithful 50 miler for the past 20 years, and nearly 8,000
AERC miles, with no interest in doing 100 milers.  I've always said that
when I did one, it would be the Tevis.  I won a free entry to the Tevis at
the AERC convention this year and everyone said, "Well, Linda, it's now or
never."  Since my body continues to fail me (bad back, knees, ankle and
heel), I decided to go for it.  Three riders from Kenlyn arrived at Auburn,
plus a spare horse for my pit crew to ride the week before.  Immediately,
Roger Blalock (a riding companion at the Rocky Mountain Ride in Colorado in
97) came over and said he'd come from Alabama and now his horse was off.  I
told him he could ride my extra gelding, but that the horse was
inexperienced, with only 200 miles of competition in endurance and
competitive trail.  As an experience 100 miler, and fit runner, Roger felt
he could get him through it, plus help me complete my First 100.  We set a
slow, steady pace and DID IT!   The support volunteers at all the vet
checks were extremely instrumental in helping us accomplish this ride.
They were so polite, cheerful and very helpful.  "Do you want help
sponging, holding horse while you use the restroom, something to eat, water
bottles filled, etc."  The clapping and cheering crowds along the streets
at Robinson Flat and Michigan Bluff and the Finish line were so uplifting
and emotional, I cried and felt revived.   My own pit crew (Thanks, Diane,
Mike, Lisa and Carol) were the most important in both mental and physical
support.  The night riding was a new experience for me.  We rode with no
lights and after awhile, I got use to trusting my horse and really enjoyed
the experience.  This was the hardest ride I've ever done and by the end, I
had used up all of my physical abilities, but I was so proud of my
horse--he was still rearing to go!  I am so very grateful for the privilege
of riding the Tevis and COMPLETING.  I plan on returning to the 50 milers,
but when I do another 100, it will be either the Tevis or IAHA rides.  The
celebration was unbelievable.  Thanks again to everyone who encouraged and
supported me in my effort.