Re: Antibiotics

In a message dated 98-08-15 18:41:05 EDT, steenhof@cyberhighway.net writes:

<< Today, my horse sustained a laceration that was serious enough to be
 stitched.  I had been planning to do a 50-miler on him next weekend.  The
 vet said the wound itself probably would be ok by then.  However, he also
 prescribed antibiotics.  It's a new product that I have never used
 before--UNIPRIM--67mg Trimethoprim and 333 mg Sulfadiazine.  You put it on
 the grain.  In this case for 5 days.  My question is:  assuming the wound
 heals nicely and that he is moving soundly by next weekend, will it be
 illegal to enter an AERC ride 2-3 days after administering these
 antibiotics??  I recall that procaine penicillin was illegal, but somehow I
 recall it was the procaine (a masking agent?) rather than the antibiotic.

Hi, Karen--

Uniprim is just a newer version of Septra, or SMZ-TMP, or whatever you want to
call it.  From what I understand, it can be picked up in drug tests for a long
time.  I would imagine it is not allowed, as it is a "drug" even though it
does not enhance performance or kill pain.  I know it has been picked up in
some of the drug tests in California before AERC's nationwide program got
started, and I can remember controversies on the Board over what to do about
it, but nonetheless, it is still a drug.

BTW--the procaine in penicillin is a relative to the local anesthetics like
lidocaine and novocaine.

Heidi Smith, DVM