Hobbling

At a recent ride I saw a horse that was hobbled and wandering around loose. Is
this allowed?
I would like to hobble my horse at home because we have a lot of grass that's
not fenced in. Could anyone tell me how to train for this. Also, how do you
put the hobbles on? This horse at the ride had the hobbles up high on his
cannon bones. I would think that they sould slip down.
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lynette