Antibiotics

I have a question for the AERC vets out there.  (Heidi?  Mike T?)

Today, my horse sustained a laceration that was serious enough to be
stitched.  I had been planning to do a 50-miler on him next weekend.  The
vet said the wound itself probably would be ok by then.  However, he also
prescribed antibiotics.  It's a new product that I have never used
before--UNIPRIM--67mg Trimethoprim and 333 mg Sulfadiazine.  You put it on
the grain.  In this case for 5 days.  My question is:  assuming the wound
heals nicely and that he is moving soundly by next weekend, will it be
illegal to enter an AERC ride 2-3 days after administering these
antibiotics??  I recall that procaine penicillin was illegal, but somehow I
recall it was the procaine (a masking agent?) rather than the antibiotic.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net