Re: Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

>I didn't shoe my horses until I started endurance.  Then my horses started
>"erasing" their hooves on the DG ( Decomposed Granite ) roads here.  My
>horses hooves are hard and healthy.  I pull shoes on anyone not "working for
>a living" because it is healthier if not necessary.  On my endurance horses
>it is necessary, on the trail horses it is not.
>
>Maybe the outfitter doesn't need shoes 'cause he doesn't move fast enough.
>9 hours of walking isn't the same as endurance speeds.   Been there, done
>that....
>
>Becky Hackworth

At the risk of sounding "metoobie", I have to concur.  Ember has spent
entire shoeing cycles barefoot, we can work in rocks without ouchiness, but
the hooves wear  too far down with the miles.  Same with her buddy Olympia,
only with her it's worse because she puts a lot of miles on in her 70' pen.
DG is different!

Lynne