Re: Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

Depends on the horse of course. Some will go barefoot and do 50's on
hard ground and rocks. Others will go lame instantly. Hal is in the
latter catagory. He lost his shoes in April, took chunks of hoof off.
I decided to let him go barefoot and lay him off so he could grow some
horn without nail holes in it for a while. He was dead lame for a
week. Limped around for a couple of months before becoming merely
uneven (his usual gait).

This was most likely his first time bare foot since they started his
training for the track back when he was 18 months old. Now several
months later his feet are starting to look more normal than any time
in the past few years, but he is still no good for more than a short
walk or trot (5 miles). In a couple of months, he gets shoes again.
==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA