Re: Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

>I think barefoot is wonderful wherever possible...partly because it's
>cheaper, partly because I don't have to worry about our ponies slipping
>on pavement...and of course it's more natural I suppose.  But it's
>certainly not a choice where I live.  We have more rocks than dirt, and
>if you'll notice, the Cherokee Indians (who lived in our neck of the
>woods)  just didn't even bother with horses...without shoes, it's faster
>to just hike.

I didn't shoe my horses until I started endurance.  Then my horses started
"erasing" their hooves on the DG ( Decomposed Granite ) roads here.  My
horses hooves are hard and healthy.  I pull shoes on anyone not "working for
a living" because it is healthier if not necessary.  On my endurance horses
it is necessary, on the trail horses it is not.

Maybe the outfitter doesn't need shoes 'cause he doesn't move fast enough.
9 hours of walking isn't the same as endurance speeds.   Been there, done
that....

Becky Hackworth