Re: Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

Susie,

I haven't had alot of horse experience, only having owned for three years,
but I left my horse barefoot last winter in New England for three months.
He has small feet and I was hoping he might get alittle growth without
shoes on. My farrier said he had good hoof wall and to give it a try. So we
did. He was fine in the paddock unless the ground was frozen and then he
chose to stay in his shelter. When I rode, I put easyboots on his front
feet and he still stayed to the sides of the trails when we rode and my
usually energetic horse had to be pushed to do more than walk. My farrier
said it's their soles they are protecting. When barefoot, the frog and
soles are right on the ground and feel everything much more. However, I
think it improved his feet by letting the nail holes grow out and just
letting his feet be "natural" even if for just a short time. I will do it
again this winter.

Pam and Bandit