Re: Barefoot? My Horse? Invite Comments!

>the U.S. Cavalry, wagoneers & travelers always shod their horses.
Whereas the Native American Indians did not shoe their horses, and as a
result the Indians frequently out-ran the Cavalry "in terrain too steep
and rugged for our cavalry to continue".

There was also a saying, "An Englishman can ride a horse until it is lame
and let him go, then a cowboy will take the same horse and ride him
another 10 miles, an Indian can get another 50 miles out of him, then eat
him.  The Indians actually went so far at times as to cut strips of meat
off of a horse's hip that they continued to ride.  I think that the
pursued has a little more incentive to keep going than the pursuer when
the going gets tough.

>The shod horse simply can't keep up over rocks and steep slopes.

I'm sorry, I find this quote laughable.  I have 3 ponies that we keep
unshod...have never had shoes...may never get them.  They drive the kids
crazy hugging the edge of the trail to avoid the rocks.  They run the
kids under all the tree limbs.  If I could afford to shoe everybody, I
would.  There's no way they could keep up with my shod horse over rocky
terrain.

  The modern farrier often cuts the
>frog well up into the sole, often trimming the bars cosmetically, so
>the frog and the sole no longer touch the ground."

I think they'd find that the "modern endurance rider" finds the farrier
who does NOT do this.

>Derringer: "We are full-time year round outfitters and guides, having a
herd of about 23 horses, all of which run barefoot at all times.  We work
the most difficult slopes, rocky terrain and NEVER have a horse lame from
a foot injury."

Yea, and I've got some beach front property in North West Georgia for
sale.

>"We find the barefoot horse is quiet,

This is something I've found also.  That's why foundered ponies are so
handy...tender feet make for gentle horses.

I think barefoot is wonderful wherever possible...partly because it's
cheaper, partly because I don't have to worry about our ponies slipping
on pavement...and of course it's more natural I suppose.  But it's
certainly not a choice where I live.  We have more rocks than dirt, and
if you'll notice, the Cherokee Indians (who lived in our neck of the
woods)  just didn't even bother with horses...without shoes, it's faster
to just hike.

Angie McGhee & Kaboot (Re-set? What's a re-set?)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]