Hooved Animal Humane Society

Recently Bev Schlegel asked if anyone had information on the Hooved Animal
Humane Society (HAHS) as she had just received a mailing from them.  I
responded with my experiences with them and Bev suggested that I post my
response to the list for others who might not know of the HAHS.  Steph agreed
that it was okay to go ahead.  Please feel free to delete now if you're not
interested or already know all of this.
Carol Bushway-Boardman in Vermont

Beverly -

Yes, the Hooved Animal Humane Society is on the up and up.  They've done
lots of good work and are very attuned to the needs of larger animals.  They
not only rescue horses but also have taken in sheep, goats, at least one cow
that I  know of and an assortment of pigs.  The Chicago Herald Tribune ran a
very
nice article on the organization and its founder, Donna Ewing, just a few weeks
ago (my niece sent it to me as I live in Vermont).

  Just last winter they rescued a herd of Morgans that were in atrocious
condition - starved, sores on their bodies, grossly overgrown feet, etc.
Some of them were so weak they could barely get them loaded.  I spoke to
someone in their office just last Monday (I got an empty envelope in the mail
from
them and was checking to see what it was supposed to have contained) and found
out that they have just one of the Morgans left - all the rest have been
adopted. This mare was badly burned at one time and the wounds were never
treated.
 Evidently some infection had set in and now the sores will never heal.  So
they are keeping her there so they know she will get the care she needs.
 I've donated to them several times - both in the memory of my parents who
 raised Morgans and in the memory of my older horses that have passed away.
 Each time I've gotten an acknowledgement of my gift and I receive a
quarterly newsletter from them that lets  me know what they've accomplished.

 I think it's a very worthwhile organization.  I like seeing my money go
toward a good cause and not toward organizational costs.

 Carol Bushway-Boardman     carol.boardman@dartmouth.edu
 in Vermont
 And
 Sambucca