Re: saddle cover

Hi Cheryl,

I've been dying to tell someone my sheepskin saddle cover story. I
realize this may not be the answer for everyone or even anyone but it
works great for me.

I have an Ulster English-style endurance saddle with stirrup leathers
that really pinch so I decided I wanted a full sheepskin cover. Couldn't
come up with the $150 plus for a made one so I went into our local
woolen shop outlet store and found a sheepskin hide that was less than
perfect but still the right measurements to, with trimming, cover my
saddle from front to back and over the fenders. Then I draped it over
the saddle, trimmed the rough edges. I already had a sheepskin seat
cover so I put that over the new full cover and tied the old seat in
place. Now I have a double dose of padding in my saddle's seat.

That was it. The sheepskin grips the saddle and stays in place without
bunching or sliding around. No additional  ties.  I have yet to do a 50
in it, but we've been climbing some pretty steep mountain trails and
long trail rides and long trots with no trouble.

I tried riding with shorts, too. The fleece is pretty raw and caused
some irritation although it didn't rub sores. It just felt a little more
prickly than a really nice merino fleece. I won't ride in shorts again,
but thin tights is no problem.

Oh, I almost forgot. The sheepskin cost me $19.

Good luck,

Louie
Bozeman, Montana