Hooved Animal Humane Society

To All Those Who Responded to My Request for Information About the Hooved
Animal Humane Society and to Those Who Care About Abused Horses:
       Thank you for confirming what I hoped was the truth, that the Hooved
Animal Humane Society is a worthwhile organization. No less than one dozen
folks from across the nation have written to me telling me what  great work
HAHA does. I look forward to supporting them.
      Three replies are copied below for those folks who might be interested
in a sampling of what the Ridecampers had to say. Incidendally, HAHS adopts
out their rescued, rehabilitated horses. They are not opposed to horse sports
except when it involves cruelty, such as the soring of TWH feet and drugging
for competition. Read on for direct quotes, visit the website at
www.chicweb.com/hahs, or delete this message as you wish. Thanks, and happy
trails, Beverly Schlegel
One writer states:
             The Hooved Animal Humane Society is definitely a legitimate,
effective
organization - one of the best of its kind in the United States. They
have set the standard for a lot of other horse rescue groups to follow,
and do a lot in the way of training programs for groups and individuals
who are interested in horse rescues.
                 A few years ago, I got involved in the rescue and care of a
herd of 26
Arabians and some cattle who'd been found starving to death after their
owner committed suicide. It was a terribly tragic, horrible thing. I was
familiar with the HAHS, so the first thing I did was to contact Donna
Ewing, head of HAHS, and ask for her help and advice. She and her office
did everything they could to help - sent pages and pages of faxes with
info on how to care for and feed starving horses, legal matters, etc. We
talked a lot back and forth on the phone, and she gave me lots of legal
advice on dealing with this very different and difficult situation, as
well as tons of moral support. Her office staff was very helpful also.
                  These people are truly dedicated to what they do, and they
have years of
experience, training and knowledge. I can't say enough good things about Donna
and her staff. I know, from personal experience, that they are a terrific
group and any monies donated to the HAHS are used for the good of the horses.
A Second Writer States:
               Yes, these folks are for real and they do good work.  I've been
contacted
for donations for several years.  Local SPCA contacted them and got a
video about their work and printed info.Definitely  a good cause.
A Third Writer States:
              Yes, the Hooved Animal Humane Society is on the up and up.
They've done lots of good work and are very attuned to the needs of larger
animals.  They not
only rescue horses but also have taken in sheep, goats, at least one cow that
know of and an assortment of pigs.  The Chicago Herald Tribune ran a very nice
article on the organization and its founder, Donna Ewing, just a few weeks ago
(my niece sent it to me as I live in Vermont).
             Just last winter they rescued a herd of Morgans that were in
atrocious
condition - starved, sores on their bodies, grossly overgrown feet, etc.  Some
of them were so weak they could barely get them loaded.  I spoke to someone in
their office just last Monday (I got an empty envelope in the mail from them
and was checking to see what it was supposed to have contained) and found out
that they have just one of the Morgans left - all the rest have been adopted.
This mare was badly burned at one time and the wounds were never treated.
Evidently some infection had set in and now the sores will never heal.  So
they
are keeping her there so they know she will get the care she needs.
I've donated to them several times - both in the memory of my parents who
raised Morgans and in the memory of my older horses that have passed away.
Each time I've gotten an acknowledgement of my gift and I receive a quarterly
newsletter from them that lets  me know what they've accomplished.
I think it's a very worthwhile organization.  I like seeing my money go toward
a good cause and not toward organizational costs.
Web Address for Hooved Animal Humane Society:
www.chicweb.com/hahs