Re: WORKING AND RIDING

In a message dated 98-08-12 13:52:59 EDT, smw@sos.net writes:

<< One in particular caught my eye - how frequently do all of you ride who
 are actively campaigning distance horses?  And do you work a regular 40+
 hour work week that does not include horses?  >>

When I was actively campaigning, I found the best schedule to be three times a
week--two of my rides never exceeded 5-7 miles (30-40 minutes) but once a week
we went farther.  Have seen this schedule work well for lots of horses.  Once
the weekly "long" ride is up to 15-20 miles, the horse is ready to start
completing 50's, and the endurance ride becomes the weekly long ride.  When
starting young horses, I DO give them a week or two completely off after their
50's, and don't do a ride more than every 6-8 weeks in their first season.  As
someone pointed out (was it in Steph's post?) the speed you use training
varies with what you plan to do at the rides.  Would add, though, that once a
week using speed training always seemed to be enough for my horses--the other
two rides were more relaxed.

As to work--most folks that I know that endurance ride do not have the luxury
of a lot of free time.  Many work 40+ hours per week, and take their vacation
time half a day at a time to drive to rides.  I personally am a veterinarian,
and was in mixed practice the year I was PNER reserve champion--did 18 rides,
and Top Tenned 17 of them.  Was working 60+ hours per week at the time.  Often
did my Tuesday and Thursday short rides in the dark.  The mare I was riding
was one that wouldn't cut me much slack, either--she was somewhat prone to
tying up if she didn't get her regular workouts, but the half-hour Tuesday and
Thursday jogs were enough.  My stallion Abu Ben Surrabu (1995 PNER Mileage
Champion) is much more forgiving about workout schedule, especially when only
asked for completions; he can go do a slow 50 just about any time, even pulled
out of the pasture.  (Just rode Santiam Cascade 50 and completed in great
shape--he was ridden twice in June, but his pulse was down almost immediately
at each check and at the finish, and he was bright and eager all the way.  Of
course, he has a great base, stays in shape to some degree watching after his
mares, and we rode to his condition--were 3rd from last in a large field.
Understand, too, that he is going blind, so our goals have changed from
competition to surviving a few rides for the fun of it--he loves to get out,
but has to be cued for even the smallest obstacle, so we HAVE to go pretty
slow.)  Even when he was running for Mileage Champion, once he was into his
year, he only got ridden at rides--rest was important, too.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)