RE: Arabians as Western Horses

Heidi, I couldn't agree with you more! I had an interesting conversation
with Corey Solteau at Tevis. I first met him at the Arabian Nationals in
Kentucky about 10 years ago. He had completed the Tevis that year, I
think on Gwalif (sp?) and also won US Natl. Champion Mare with Shahteyna
that year, a mare he had bred. He has since won other National titles,
and he has judged at the Nationals. As you know, halter horses must
qualify for regional and national championships by competing in
performance classes. And guess how Corey qualifies his horses?  By
taking his national-caliber halter horses on endurance rides! I've seen
him on some incredibly beautiful horses out on the trail--which is where
these horses should be. Many breeders of "show" Arabians are aghast by
the performance qualification requirement, because they either don't
want to ride their expensive horses, can't ride them, or the horse has
been raised in such a way that it can't do anything. I know that Corey
will continue to be a proponent of the performance qualification
requirement, much to the disapproval of those who think their fancy show
horses shouldn't have to do anything but be beautiful. What every
endurance rider knows though, is that every horse stuck in a barn with
his tail in a bag would rather be out on the trail.