Re: Arabians as Western Horses

Heidi, you are so, so right.
I helped Dr. Munson up at Shalimar for years, helped his son Bordy too.  On
several occasions, and I won't name names, but, a breeder of some renown
accompanied me with show-bred Arabs to "move pairs a few miles."
My wife and I used our "endurance horses" (mainly Crabbet-bred
Rushcreek/Shalimar horses) and we worked hard.
    The breeder who accompanied us got off his horse, as did his "partner" and
waited for the trailer comin' up the road.  Now, I will say that at the time
it was twenty below (wind chill) COLD COLD COLD and maybe it was the hand and
not the horse, but....
    An interesting sidenote (to me), at one point Bordy said we were short a
pair or two, and Doc remarked, "Let Frank and Becky go look for 'em, they're
ridin' endurance horses,"
    My chest puffed up as we started up the rocks to find the missing cows and
calves.
    I think endurance horses are good horses.
    And  now, I think mules are good endurance horses, too. (Congrats, Sandy
Brown and Ruby!!!!)
     I could be wrong, but that's how I remember things.
    Frank Solano
    DVERITAS@AOL.com