Re: Camel back

jtaylor@pyramid.net wrote:

> I know this was brought up before but.... Where do you find the camel
> back water packs?

You could try any bike store and many of the endurance riding stores - I
believe Sport Tack and the Australian Connection carry some form of pack
with a water bladder.  (ie Camelbak and other brands.)  A large number of
military surplus catalogs list them also (if OD Green is your color)
since they are issued to special forces.

> can you freeze the water in them? what is the cost?

I've never freezed them, bit I bet that you could.  The filler mouth
openings are so wide that I load it 1/2 full of ice, then add water.  I
tastes heavenly whenit is so hot out!Cheapest system that I've seen from
camelback held 40 oz (2+ sport bottles), plain nylon straps for around
$30  I have seen day packs with room for everything you could imagine
taking along + 80 oz bladder for around $125.  They come as bladders in
fanny packs as well as back packs.  I've found that I prefer the
waist/fanny pack over the back style.

> how heavy and do they bounce around on your back?

The packs themselves weigh virtually nothing.  The water is the heavy
part at 8 lbs/gallon.  I guess it depends on how much you carry!  There
is some slosh as the water is drained down, but it isn't bad.  The noise
is the most noticeable part for me with the back pack styles.  I did feel
as though I wanted to lean forward more so that the pack rested more on
my back and less on the shoulder straps.  This was the intended position
when the pack was developed for bicyclists.  Definitely not the ideal
position for riding.I believe that Ultimate has a version with baffles to
keep the slosh from happening, but I haven't tried one & don't feel as
though I need it.

I recently bought a Gregory Hydration pack - fanny pack with a 100 oz
bladder + pockets & loops for all my immediate gear.  I've found that I
have a better riding posture using it.  It has compressions straps that I
tighten to keep the water from sloshing at all.  The only complaint that
I can see with it is that it won't fit a small waisted person well - it
can be adjusted from "extra-huge" (45+") to around 28".  If you're waist
is less than 28", it may be a bit loose on you.

I've heard of vests with tons of pockets & a bladder on the rear, much
like what Glenda wants to make, but I haven't seen one in person.  I
suspect that it would want to gape open in front if it was zipped or
buttoned closed while you rode.

I prefer the bite valve from the Camelbak over the Gregory...  I might
switch them in the future.  I haven't seen what Ultimate's looks like
yet.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Linda Flemmer