Re: A dark day for Arabians

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Linnea Skoglund wrote:

> Kat wrote:
>
> AND, if you are going to show in an "open" show, then you should be
> judged against the same standard as all the other horses, not expect
> the judge to make exceptions for your horse because it happens to be
> of another breed.
>

> WHAT!!!  You mean your arab or my paso should have the same low head
> set and shuffling gait as the qtr horse if we are all riding in an
> open western pleasure class?

If it is an open class, then the criteria should be the same for all
horses.  If low head set and shuffling gait is the criteria for western
pleasure, then it should be the criteria for everybody...just like if you
want to show your horse in open show jumping it has to go over the same
fences as every other horse in the class (even if it is less physically
suited to the effort because of its breed), and if you want to compete
with your quarter horse in open endurance competition it has to cover the
same course as all those arabians (even if it may not be as physically
suited to the effort).

> I don't think so!!!  I believe arabs
> (or morgans or any other breed) have their own standards for western
> pleasure, etc. and any judge worth his or her salt should know the
> difference.

So if you want to be judged as an arabian or a paso fino, then go to an
arabian or paso fino show.  If you want to compete on the open circuit,
then you have to meet the "open" standards.  Otherwise, you aren't
competing in open competition.

> Linnea & Pesadilla - how won't shuffle for anyone!

If the western pleasure judge thinks that western pleasure horses are
supposed to shuffle, then ALL the horses are supposed to shuffle.
However, it is possible for a judge to not include shuffling in its
judging criteria at all...then, the quarter horses that don't sufffle
won't be "marked down" for not doing it.

To as a judge to "excuse" your horse's not meeting the standards of the
class because of its breeding is....to not compete in open competition.

kat
Orange County, Calif.