Re: More on Tevis '98

I loved when the announcer (Bob Suhr?) said, "No horse won Best Condition".
The crowd roared with laughter, they knew that meant that Ruby the mule had
won the  Haggin Cup.

More experiences--Becky, Donna and Tori went home.  I'm a lousy reporter.
And I have to get back to real life.  It was wonderful to see people and
horses I'd only read about.  My press "status" allowed me to hang this
morning with the Cup committee, and be right there taking pictures while
the vets examined each horse.  Lots of happy memories.  I was especially
happy to see Patti Bailey get her buckle, completing on KH Regalia, and
Peter from England riding Steele the Show.  There was an awesome picture
taken of them going through the river, and I ordered one.  And lots of PS
riders completing as well.  Disappointments in the vetting in, like Suzie
Kelley not getting to start on Zaraf's Star.  Karen and Weaver proving the
vets wrong.  Judy Long and Warpaint, as well as Nick and Shatta.  Roger
Blalock, whose horse had gotten off of the trailer from TX lame, finishing
on a horse belonging to Linda Fisher.

Patty Gagliotti, ridecamper, finishing!  Linda Morelli, and Kokomo.  Of
course Samm and Cathy, who enjoyed themselves despite some bad luck.  Mary
Fields from Texas, whom we included on the webcast coverage, as the last
finisher.  Several people for whom this was their first 100.  Crews that
included only a family member or two.  The cheerfulness that pervaded every
site.  All the folks competing from other countries.  All those wonderful
endurance vendors!  I bought awards for my upcoming rides, and they were
very $upportive.  Such great people in this sport, riders, families,
volunteers and vets.

Lynne