Fwd: fireworks ride

---- Begin included message ----
Hi, folks.   I think the fireworks ride is a terrific ride.  This is the
second year I have done it, albeit slowly.  With hills, hard ground and
soft sand, it isn't necessariyly an easy ride and people do get pulled.
I find the vets to be very thorough and hardworking.

My family opted to stay late and spoke with Liz's husband Keith after
the ride.    He told us that  the horse injured at the river crossing is
in much better shape than rumors implied and it was his understanding
that it was expected to recover. I had heard from someone at the awards
dinner that knew the rider of the injured horse, that she required some
stiches but was back at the finish line to greet others before the end
of the ride.  I have no word on the other rider and wasn't aware that
another person was injured although I did hear two horses were involved
in the accident .   The word I got from the awards dinner was that one
horse bolted out of the river and caused the other to try and bolt and
that is the horse that got into trouble.  Maybe some one who was there
will clarify things but I'm not sure its necessary.

We are all responsible for our horses under the demanding circumstances
of crowded, excited  herds and accidents will happen.  This just
reinforces the idea in my mind that we have to ride our own rides.

I've never managed a ride and can only imagine all that is involved.   I
would like to thank all of those who went to a great deal of trouble to
put on a really nice ride.  I haven't been to any others  (yes, this is
just my 6th!) that have the volunteers involved to the extent that
Fireworks does or has integrated such nice trails through a variety of
agencies.  And, isn't the food good?????

happy trails,  jan freed

---- End included message ----