Re: change diagonals frequently

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

> When I switch to my right, Kaboot used to break into a canter.  It's
> taken lots of practice, but now it's no big deal.  However, I find it
> impossible to START posting on the right.  No matter what I have to start
> on the left, then skip a beat to get on the right. By the way, I stand 2
> beats rather than the double bounce.

I don't see too many people changing diagonals by "standing" rather than
"sitting" for a beat, but I feel like that's much easier on the horse's
back.  It's what I've always done, too.

I hadn't thought about the rider being uneven as something that affected the
trotting diagonals, but it sure sounds reasonable.  I'll have to think about
it & get somebody to watch me the next time I feel like I'm being
"encouraged" to choose the left diagonal!  My left leg is certainly stronger
than my right.  Angie,  do you have a stronger leg?  Would it be the left
side?  I may have a theory....

A great way to learn to pick up a difficult diagonal (or to know what
diagonal you are on without cheating & sneaking a peek) -
Ride no stirrups/reins as a friend or instructor lounges you.  Close your
eyes and identify the pattern of foot falls for the horse at a walk and
trot.  (Call out the pattern for a front foot, for ex. every time the front
right comes down.) Then pick up a posting trot & try to do the same.  You
will become much more in tune with the horse's movements.  Ideally, you
should eventually be able to feel the horse's first stride into a trot, know
which leg it is, & be able to pick up your choice of diagonals within the
first 3 strides.  It's trickier than it sounds the first few times.

Linda Flemmer