Re: Carbo Rat Bombs OD

In a message dated 98-08-03 18:16:53 EDT, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< >Joe what did you do on the longer trailer trips in the SE?

 I never dosed with electrolytes before or during the trip.  I would
 allow him access to a chunk of salt block in the manger.

This is a very good approach, so that the horse only replaces what he loses.
I have never seen a horse OD on free choice 'lytes.  This has been my approach
at rides, too, and I am often surprised at the times my horse feels he "needs"
salts and when he doesn't.  There are hot, humid times when he won't touch a
block, and other times when I would not think he would want it at all that he
will work it over.  Have only had one metabolic pull in over 5000 miles, and
that was back in the '70's and in retrospect, there were extenuating
circumstances.

Heidi