Re: Carbo Rat Bombs OD

Hi Angela,

That Texas lady is me.  Yes I do pre-load electrolytes before a ride.
Usually I give 1/2 doses a.m. & p.m. starting the day before I leave.  I
don't feel that I over did it during the ride either: when I dosed the 2
times on trail it was about 1 oz. & 2-3oz at the vet check. (I didn't think
she needed more). Keep in mind this was an EXTREMELY hot & humid ride.
This was also the first time Khali had ever had any problems of any kind
during a ride (2yrs worth w/ ~ 1 ride a month).  I do feel that the
Enduralytes did not work for her.  Previously I had been using Lytenows & a
home mix at all her other rides w/no problems.  This time I thought I
should use a commercial formula instead of home brew.  Before & since this
ride she has done great.
I don't blame all our problems at the ride on the electrolytes I used but I
do think they played a big part.
Also, I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in Texas & on
the Gulf Coast electrolytes play an big role in getting your horse thru a
ride.  Ask any of our ride vets & riders.  We are also having one of the
hottest summers on record this year w/heat indexes well into the teens &
twenties. (Maybe even higher, at least it sure feels that way!)
Please keep in mind too that this is only my opinion.  No flames intended
at all.  I am still learning & each time I think I've got it, I find I
still know next to nothing.  I know there are a lot of people out there w/a
lot more knowledge than I'll ever have but I feel that what I do works for
my horse so far.  If I learn of something that works better, makes sense,
or works better for my horse I'm certainly willing to make any changes
necessary to keep my horse in the best health & condition.

Christina & Khali (how hot can it get?!)
Houston, TX