Re: problem with allergies <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We have a COPD horse. I wrote about him a few times.
At UNV TENN, they did the patch test. Have to have the horse there over
night so his systems will stablize and give a true test.
They must give them about 100 little skin hits  like the tine test for
TB..
then they read it in  x-hours.. the allergists know this stuff..

Carols horse Raz.. 11 yrs  has strong allergy to PINE  we live in the
forest,
WOOL   ha
CLOVER
CORN

oh well-- it cost about $150
the lab types then mix up 3 vials of allergy shots..
step 1 a very weak mix given evey 2 days 0.1ml  increased by 0.1 each
shot..
for 10 days
step2 same routine but a stronger blend
step 3   30 days into the program.. call and talk with vet etc..
this is the full strength stuff. The others just get the body
accoustomed to the allergy 'anti-gens'  or what ever.
this stuff if given wrong can kill them.
We had to carry a vial of ephrine  in case he went into shock.
It all went well. he is on his second vial of #3. We give 10cc every 20
days.
He gets a histime reaction.. we give 2 small shots on each side of his
neck.
He gets a bump like a bee sting about 2 inch in dia. and appears to be
itchy for a few hours.
I follow up the shot with a dose of homeopathic remedy. This appears to
help the slight swelling to decrease.

The cost is $195 for a 3 month vial.

It works-
he did a 3 day hard working 'cowboy' ride 2 weekends ago and just did a
sort of difficult 25ld this past weekend.
NO hacking no nothing before during or after..

I did cause a problem when I fed some fine slightly dusty alfafa hay..
He started hacking..thought I triggered a session.
BUT i gave him a few doses of the homeopathic rem AND soaked all the hay
in water.
It worked.
We dont fed hay when we travel. I put hay cubes and beet pulp in a
bucket and stop a few time to refill..also provide water in a bucket.
This worked great.

So COPD horses when 'cured' with the now legal Ventiplumin and put on
a correct allergy formula and you work out a good fed -hay management
plan
can have a competitive life.

Carol REALLY likes this horse. She passed up buying a 'sure thing' great
proven 50 miler to work with this boy.
We hope to see him doing 50 milers by fall.
Roger R