Horsey colleges

Dear Libby,

I went to a great community (2 year) college in Merced CA, Merced College, in
the late 70s.  They had a terrific horse program going and I heard they added
to it a lot after I was gone.  When I was there they offered AA & AS degrees
in Horse Management... horse classes included E & W Horsemanship,
Horseshoeing, Packing, Colt Training, Horse Husbandry.  The college had a
Mammoth Jack donated to them and we made mules by him on QH mares.  For the
degree you were also required to take an assortment of related ag classes
(nutrition, forage crops, machinery etc).

At the time, the Ag counsellor made an effort to help out ag students by
placing them on local ranches where they could work in exchange for a place to
live, don't know if they're still doing that.  A two-year college is a lot
cheaper way to get your basic classes down, and then transfer to the more
expensive four-year university for your last two years.

As to universities however, Cal Poly Pomona has a horse program using
Arabians, the university is on the former Kellogg Ranch.  Cal Poly San Luis
Obispo has a program with QHs I think, and possibly Cal State Fresno hsas a
horse program also.  Good luck in your hunt!

Karen Bratcher (can you tell I lived in CA for a while?)
Hayden ID