Re: Starting older horse

Hi Ellen -

I too have recently (5 mos ago) gotten an older Arab - 16 & is a gelding
- who was not ridden in at least 2 yrs.  He was given to me because the
owners felt he didn't fit into their program (kids into barrels & roping
who wouldn't be caught dead on an Arab) & he also has melanoma.

I took him because I just liked him & thought maybe I could use him for
some back up, ponying, & just general poking around,  WELL, he has
turned into such a neat horse & is coming along with his conditioning so
nicely that I am thinking maybe he might be able to handle LD for sure &
maybe some 50's  in the future.

The best part is how he doesn't waste his energy on unimportant things.
He has done that been there & won't go again.  He is not perfect, we
work on confidence building & fortunately he doesn't want to be in
control (I like this cause I do want to be in control).

Anyway, just because a horse is in his/her teens, don't count them out.

Lori & Sky
AZ