Starting older horse

HI!

I just bought a 16 y.o. Arabian broodmare with a foal by her side, as well as
one in her belly.  The more I look at her the more I think she could go at
least limited distance.  After the filly is weaned I plant to ride her really
easy.  She was in poor condition when I bought her (3 weeks ago) and for now I
am trying to get weight on her.  She hasn't been ridden in 2 years.

Maybe with a lot of slow work she will be in the beginning of some shape by
the time she foals next spring and then we can keep working toward a slow 25
in the fall of '99.

Has anyone started an older horse from scratch?  How did it go?  Any
suggestions?

This is my first Arabian.

Ellen Acree
Memphis